An Interview with Danielle Triano

Meet Danielle. We met at FIT orientation, interned for the same brand, and never stopped getting breakfast every Thursday since. Seriously, no one works harder than Danielle. She is currently taking over the PR scene in NY, finishing school, and making time to cook and bake the most impressive (and somehow healthy) treats for her family. (She mailed me date bars with my Christmas gift and I almost cried.) Enjoy getting to know the Dan I love. xx

On reading:

I do most of my reading on my train rides into the city, a good book is the best company. I start every morning off with reading The NY Times daily briefing, and guilty, my favorite is part is always the recipe of the day. Apart from that I am always reading two books at a time, one that is a self-help or work related type of read, and the other a more typical novel. Life organization/self-help books help me balance my hectic life and make me feel more grounded, while the other book I read does the opposite, it allows me to escape for a little while and draw my mind off of work. Currently you can find me nose deep in Listful Thinking, by Paula Rizzo (who I fortunately got to meet at PRIBI conference; she was both honest and hysterical) and You'll Grow Out Of It by Jessi Klein.

On how you spend your Saturday afternoons:

Post gym and study sesh at the library, my boyfriend Jon and I will usually go to the beach for a walk and will stop for a cup of coffee. There's nothing we love more than the sound of the ocean and good cup of coffee. We both have very busy weeks so we really take advantage of our free time to catch up, enjoy each other's presence and have a good talk. Our Saturdays always include a good meal, whether we are at The Bungalow, a little cafe right off the beach, or at home cooking together, good food is always a necessity. You can find us planted on the couch with a big bowl of popcorn and a glass of wine watching movies for the rest of the day. 

On your go to dinner party plan:

It's no secret that I love to cook, and party planning is part of my job so there's nothing I enjoy more than a good dinner party. No dinner party is complete without an extravagant cheese plate, something sweet and some good wine, oh and some music of course! I love to try out new recipes from my embarrassingly large collection of cookbooks so I typically cook and bake everything myself. As for drinks, my dad always points me in the right direction when picking the perfect wine to pair.

On your personal uniform:

If it's not comfortable I won't wear it. Considering I work in beauty PR, 75% of my wardrobe is black. The other 25% is filled with vintage style denim, basic t-shirts and athleisure wear. During the workweek you can find me in a black a-line mini skirt with tights and cropped sweater that falls over the skirt just enough, paired with sneakers. During school you'll catch me in workout leggings, sneakers and a hoodie.  On the weekends I live in boyfriend jeans and T-shirt with a jacket over my shoulders because I'm always cold!  Oh, and of course sneakers, they're kind of my signature. 

On what speaks to you:

Being true to oneself. It is something that I have struggled with my entire life, and as I get older I find it easier to do, thanks to a special someone. 

Being in such a materialistic industry sometimes pushes me to conform to be like those around me. This is why I decided to stay at company I am currently at. There, I am surrounded by genuine women, which I am truly grateful for. I believe that it is important to surround yourself with people who bring out the best in you, the true you. 

The first day of college orientation I was looking around and could not feel more out of place. Luckily some girl was admiring my shoes as I was eyeing her bag. That girl was Erika. We began to talk and explore the city together and I came to realize that as different as we were, we appreciated the same things in life. We suffered through our first fashion internship together in the big NYC, and she kept me sane through it despite our very different work habits! Erika would always remind me that it was just a job, and to focus on myself rather than just pleasing others.  Thinking of her always reminds me to be true to who I am, and to step back from the workplace, or anything in the matter,  because at the end of the day that is only a small fraction of my life, and I am defined by many other things besides that. 

It's the best advice I have ever received, and the advice that I pass on, be true to yourself.